Geriatric Multicultural MRSA Patient
Developed by: Lahey Clinic, Salem State College
This case presents a post operative patient who is on the surgical floor with abdominal pain and incisional drainage. The student will be required to demonstrate basic assessment to detect safety including a falls risk assessment, infection control, pain, and communication issues. It is expected that the student will communicate findings to the appropriate health care team members within the organization.
- Identify the primary nursing diagnosis
- Implement patient safety measures and institute appropriate falls prevention measures.
- Evaluate patient assessment information including vital signs and appropriate diagnostic tests.
- Identify communication and cultural concerns.
- Implement direct communication with multidisciplinary team members
- Demonstrate effective teamwork.
- Implement infection control measures per the hospital policy
- Prioritize and implement physician orders appropriately
Scenario specific goals:
- Initiate assessment of patient and tests and prioritize findings
- Recognize the presence of MRSA from the culture and sensitivity report given by the charge nurse.
- Implement infection control precautions for MRSA.
- Identify appropriate treatment measures in collaboration with primary care physician
- Recognize communication barriers and accesses hospital interpreter services
- Patient-Centered Care
- Quality Improvement
- Evidence-Based Practice
- System-Based Practice
- Technology and Informatics
- Teamwork and Collaboration
(You must log in to view/download files)
- Simulation File (.sce) (282 downloads)
- Scenario Information (.pdf)
Feedback(You must log in to submit feedback)
No feedback yet.