PARCC and Core to College
Public Feedback Requested
May 8—PARCC closed the public comment period on the draft grade- and subject-specific performance level descriptors (PLDs) in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. The national PARCC Governing Board and Advisory Committee on College Readiness will vote on the adoption of the final PLDs during their joint session on June 26, 2013.
Future Ready Summit
May 20—The Future Ready Summit was held at the DCU Center in Worcester, MA. Future Ready Massachusetts is a public communication campaign designed to promote awareness and understanding of what it takes for all students (youth and adult learners) to be “college and career ready.”
College and Career “Readiness” Definition Approved
March 12—The Massachusetts Board of Higher Education (BHE) voted to accept a new definition of what it takes for students to become ready for life after high school. The BHE action followed a “yes” vote on the state’s new college & career readiness definition taken by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education on February 26th.
Voting on the definition marked the first time the two boards overseeing the state’s K-12 schools and public colleges and universities partnered in formal agreement on what it means to be prepared for success in college and in the workplace. The three-page definition (.PDF) is intended to provide better coordination between schools and colleges, with the goal of aligning curriculum and expectations for students.
PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Career Readiness) and Core to College are K-16 initiatives to ensure that "college-bound" means "college-ready." The primary activities are:
- Full implementation of the Common Core State Standards;
- Creation of a next-generation assessment system based on the Standards; and
- Development of a definition of "college and career readiness."
The goals are to:
- Increase college readiness among high school graduates and increase the understanding of college expectations among parents, students and teachers;
- Reduce disparities among different school districts and populations;
- Reduce the need for remediation in college;
- Increase completion rates of college students;
- Improve assessment tools for 21st century learning; and
- Ensure global competitiveness of K-12 and college graduates.
The overarching strategy is collaboration at the national, state, regional and local levels and among K-12 and higher education educators and administrators.
National PARCC Initiative (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers)