Determining Eligibility for the ORP
Eligibility for participation in the ORP is based on three criteria:
- Eligible Position: All employees are eligible for ORP participation except:
- Unit and non-unit classified employees,
- Residents at the UMass Medical School,
- Post-doctoral employees at UMass, and
- Students whose employment is incidental to their education (e.g,. graduate students).
Newly eligible employees may include:
- an employee who is newly hired,
- a current employee who changes from a non-eligible to an eligible position,
- a current employee in an eligible position whose workload is newly increased to meet the minimum workload requirement, and
- a former employee of the Commonwealth who was an ORP participant and accepts a position that is eligible for ORP coverage.
Employees losing eligibility may include:
- an employee who changes to an ineligible position,
- an employee whose workload is reduced to less than 50% FTE, and
- an employee who is terminated.
Temporary assignments: Active ORP participants may be given a temporary assignment in a position that is not eligible for ORP coverage. Such an employee is not eligible for a new Election Period if the institution reasonably expects the employee to return to their ORP-eligible position. If the institution does not reasonably expect the person to return to their ORP-eligible position, then the employee should be enrolled in the State Employees' Retirement System (SERS).
Contact the Plan Administrator with questions about an employee's eligibility.