Maintaining Veterans' Records
In compliance with 38 CFR 21.4253 (accredited programs) and 21.4254 (non-accredited programs), the records of students under the GI Bill program must be available for review by authorized government representatives. A recommended way to organize veterans records follows.
On the left side of the folder:
- All 22-1999
- All 22-1999b
- Any correspondence from VA relating to the student
On the right side of the folder:
- Transcripts from all colleges and schools, current and previously attended
- Transfer evaluations
- Copies of drops/withdrawal forms, when applicable
- Remedial/deficiency course documentation certified to VA
- Conduct reports, if any
- Other relevant school documentation
Non-accredited, non-college degree, apprenticeships, and on-the-job programs have additional requirements, which can be found in 38 CFR 21.4209 (c) and (d).