Information & Tools for Students

Home > For Students > Veterans Education > Students Called to Active Duty

Students Called to Active Duty

GI Bill students called back to active duty should review the Deployment Checklist. The list is available only as a guideline; check with the Veterans Certifying Official and lending institutions for specific deployment and re-deployment actions.

Activation/Mobilization Checklist

Before you Leave (Note: To ensure proper credit and to prevent any financial loss to the soldier, these steps must be completed prior to departure.)

  • Notify the school and your professor/instructor that you have been activated and present the appropriate administrator with a copy of your orders.
  • Be sure to make contact either in person or via telephone. Leaving a voicemail or email message is insufficient because further information may be required.
  • Keep a record of names, dates, individuals, and a brief summary of your conversations with the school and lending institution.
  • Notify your school's VA counselor that you have been activated and present your activation orders. Discuss the appropriate course of action with the VA Counselor. Note: Do not withdraw from school until you have your orders.
  • Contact your student loan lending institution. It is your responsibility to follow through with any procedure the lender indicates.
  • Call your Education Office. If you encounter any problems resolving your academic status, request assistance from your Education coordinator.

When you Return

  • Contact the VA Certifying Official at your school to determine your eligibility for the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP - Chapter 1607) or the Active Duty GI Bill (MGIB-AD Chapter 30) and to establish reinstatement of your GI Bill benefits.
  • To determine your eligibility for MGIB-AD Chapter 30, email the ARNG GI Bill Support Team or your state GI Bill Manager.
  • Upon redeployment, if you plan to continue your education, contact your college admissions professional to find out what steps you must take to re-enroll. If you withdrew from school, you may be required to re-apply in order to get back into their system. Contact your school's admissions counselor for application details and to determine your class standing. (Note: Depending on how long you were away from school, this process may differ from that of a first-time applicant.)
  • Re-establish contact with your academic advisor to discuss continuation of your degree program and applicable credit for your military experience and training.
  • Contact your state Education Services Officer and TA Manager to determine eligibility for tuition assistance and state-funded education assistance (if applicable).


Contact Us | Subscribe to Our E-Newsletter | Email the Webmaster | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Accessibility Statement

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education. All Rights Reserved. ©2000-2014
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401, Boston, MA 02108   617-994-6950