For Students and FamiliesFor Faculty and AdvisorsContact InformationHomeFor Students and Families

MassTransfer Home > For Students and Families > FAQ



Transfer of Courses and Credits




Q. I am taking courses at a community college but don’t know where to transfer. What should I do?
A. Start taking coursework that meets the MassTransfer Block requirements. Make sure you keep a copy of your college catalogGlossary and course syllabiGlossary. Talk to your transfer counselor or academic advisor about transfer options. Inquire at your college about career planning seminars or aptitude testing, which may help you decide where to go next. There are also transfer coordinators at each campus.

Q. Can I transfer to any Massachusetts post-secondary institutionGlossary?
A. Virtually all public and independent institutionsGlossary in Massachusetts accept transfer students; however, the MassTransfer policy applies only to public institutionsGlossary.

Q. Can I transfer to and from institutions outside of Massachusetts?
A. Yes. Many students transfer to and from institutions outside of Massachusetts. Check with your academic advisor to see how coursework is accepted between the institutions. While independentGlossary and out-of-state institutions do not currently participate in the MassTransfer policy, other transfer agreements may be in place between the schools.

Transfer of Courses and Credits

Q. Can I transfer courses from more than one institution?
A. Yes. Remember, you must submit official transcriptsGlossary from each institution you attended. Please note: some courses may transfer but may not meet program requirements for graduation.

Q. Is there a minimum grade for course transfer?
A. If you complete the MassTransfer block or an associate degreeGlossary under the MassTransfer policy and have been accepted into a state university or University of Massachusetts campus, you may be able to transfer a “D” grade. If you haven’t completed the MassTransfer block or an associate degree, you’ll receive credit for each transferable course you completed which usually require a "C-" grade or higher. If you’re enrolling in a specific program of study, you may need a higher grade.

Q. I took some post-secondary courses years ago. Will they still transfer?
A. That depends on how many years ago and on the institution and program in which you want to enroll. Many institutions consider that knowledge acquired more than ten years ago may no longer be current and, therefore, may not grant creditGlossary. This may be less than ten years for some fields. Check with your intended institution regarding the institution’s policy.

Q. What happens if I change my majorGlossary or program after I transfer?
A. Check the institution’s course catalogGlossary for the new requirements, or discuss this with your academic advisor. You will still get the transfer credit you are entitled to, but you may not be able to apply it in the same way to your new program. You may need to take more courses than originally planned to meet the requirements of your new program.

Q. I have credits from AP and CLEP exams; can these transfer?
A. Some state universities and University of Massachusetts campuses accept the following types of courses and credit:

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams
  • Advanced PlacementGlossary (AP) exams
  • Equivalent courses from regionally accredited institutionsGlossary outside of Massachusetts
  • Military credits
  • Other prior learning experience (rare)

Check with the admissions office of the institution(s) you are interested in attending to see if the credits will be accepted. In some cases, you may need to provide extra information, such as course syllabiGlossary.

Q. My new institution is offering a different explanation about the courses that will transfer. How do I resolve this?
A. Keep in mind that there may be some additional credit requirements for your major. Your academic advisor or the institution’s course catalogGlossary should provide this information. If you still believe there is a problem, each institution has an appeals process.


Q: When does the MassTransfer policy start?
A. Beginning in fall 2009, new and current students may accumulate courses toward the completion of an approved associate degree under MassTransfer or the MassTransfer Block. The policy benefits will apply to students who complete either an approved associate degree or the MassTransfer Block beginning in fall 2010, regardless of initial date of enrollment.

Q. I am currently enrolled in a Joint Admissions program, how do the new transfer policies affect me?
A. MassTransfer integrates and replaces the Commonwealth Transfer Compact, Joint Admissions, and the Tuition Advantage Program as of fall 2009. Community college students who matriculated prior to 2009 and who choose to continue in the Commonwealth Transfer Compacy and/or Joint Admissions Program will be required to complete their associate degree by August 2013 and must matriculate at a Massachusetts state university or University of Massachusetts campus by fall 2014.

Students matriculating in fall 2009 as well as currently enrolled students may accumulate courses leading toward the completion of an approved associate degree under MassTransfer or the MassTransfer Block. The policy benefits will apply to students who complete either an approved associate degree or the MassTransfer Block beginning fall 2010, regardless of initial date of enrollment.

Q. I currently receive a tuition waiver under the Tuition Advantage Program. Is this being discontinued?
A. The Tuition Advantage Program is not being discontinued; rather, it is being consolidated into the MassTransfer policy, along with Joint Admissions. Under MassTransfer, students who complete an associate degree and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are guaranteed a tuition waiver equal to 1/3 of the Massachusetts resident tuition rate at a state university or University of Massachusetts campus for two years of undergraduate enrollment, provided eligibility requirements are met.

Q. My older son was able to transfer from a community college to a state university under the Commonwealth Transfer Compact. Now my younger son is a community college student and wishes to transfer, but is there no longer a Commonwealth Transfer Compact?
A. The Commonwealth Transfer Compact has been integrated into the MassTransfer policy.

Related Links

Glossary of terms


Contact Us | Subscribe to Our E-Newsletter | Email the Webmaster | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Accessibility Statement

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education. All Rights Reserved. ©2000-2014
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401, Boston, MA 02108   617-994-6950