How to Transfer: Planning
Considering college transfer? Start with these steps:
- Learn about institutions and majors. Finding the right college and program can be difficult, but your academic advisor and transfer counselor can help.
- Attend information sessions or transfer fairs to learn about transferring.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss the transfer process.
- Visit the campus for a tour or an open house, if possible. Meet with an admissions or transfer counselor, and bring a copy of your transcript and a list of questions, such as:
- Which of my credits will transfer? (If you have credits from a college or colleges that you previously attended, ask about transferring individual course credits.)
- What are the institution’s admissions requirements (for example, GPA, minimum number of credits, interview, etc., review the Department of Higher Education: Minimum Required Admissions Standards for more information)?
- Is my major eligible for MassTransfer or covered under another transfer agreement (public higher education institutions only)?
Once you decide which institution(s) are of most interest to you, consider applying.
Navigate nationwide college choices: U.S. Department of Education College Navigator
Learn about majors and careers: College Board
Other career resources: U.S. Department of Labor: CareerOneStop and CareerVoyages