Information for Institutions of Higher Education

Institutional Eligibility
Course Eligibility
College and High School Credit Guidelines
Student Eligibility

Institutional Eligibility

The Commonwealth Dual Enrollment Partnership (CDEP) is offered within the public higher education system in Massachusetts. To be eligible for CDEP funding, a community college, state university, or University of Massachusetts campus must plan and develop dual enrollment opportunities with the following guidelines:

Please note that students who are not first-generation college students, low-income students, or interested in STEM fields are also eligible to participate.

Course Eligibility

Eligible Courses: An eligible course must be a credit-bearing college-level course that meets the following criteria:

*Note: three credit courses that include tutorials and co-requisite support are eligible for CDEP.

The disciplines represented in the MassTransfer block are behavioral and social sciences,  humanities and fine arts,  natural or physical science,  English composition/writing, and mathematic/quantitative reasoning.

More information about MassTransfer can be found here.

Ineligible Courses: The following courses are ineligible:

(Back to top)

Are the courses guaranteed to transfer when I enroll in college after high school?

CDEP courses are limited to those that would qualify under the MassTransfer Block. These are generally first- and second-year college courses that institutions regard as highly transferable. These courses are not guaranteed to transfer, however. Students should contact the college or university in which they plan to enroll after high school to inquire about their transfer policy.

College and High School Credit Guidelines

Students must receive college and high school credit, documented on their college and high school transcripts, for the courses that they successfully complete. Institutions of higher education and high schools are responsible for establishing agreements that ensure that high school students receive credit from both the college and the high school for courses taken as part of CDEP. Students may be asked to collect signatures of college and high school administrators for this purpose.

The high school may count the CDEP course either as an elective or a required course. Participating IHEs and high schools are responsible for establishing written agreements that ensure that high school students receive credit from both the college and high school for courses completed as part of CDEP. Although not a requirement, the Department of Higher Education and Department of Elementary and Secondary Education suggest grades earned from CDEP courses are configured into the high school GPA and weighted the same as Advanced Placement (AP) courses. 

Student Eligibility

Eligibility Criteria: Students must meet the following eligibility criteria:

* If a student’s GPA is below the 2.5 GPA threshold then the student must submit a recommendation letter from their high school guidance counselor, teacher, or principal. Home schooled students should submit a letter from their parent or guardian

Students who meet eligibility guidelines are not guaranteed participation. Participation is at the discretion of the participating institution of higher education, subject to capacity constraints and state appropriation.


Meetings & Events

Jun 18

Board of Higher Education Meeting

Join Us on Twitter!