Community College Nursing Scholarship Program
The Community College Nursing Scholarship program is designed to attract, incentivize, and encourage a diverse population of students to enroll in and complete a postsecondary credential or degree in the nursing profession at a Massachusetts community college. The program provides “last dollar” financial assistance to ensure that all eligible students have adequate resources to cover the direct costs of tuition, fees and books towards a certificate or associate degree at a public community college. This scholarship program is intended to encourage more students to consider the nursing health profession as a career path and thus enroll in an approved nursing discipline that will provide the credentials to contribute to the Commonwealth’s healthcare workforce.
Student Eligibility Criteria
If you are a Massachusetts resident that has completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Massachusetts Application for State Financial Aid (MASFA), you may be eligible for the Community College Nursing Scholarship Program.
Applicants must also meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Physically reside in Massachusetts for at least one year, as of the start of the enrolled term, with an intent to remain in Massachusetts consistent with Board of Higher Education policy; and
- Has not earned a prior associate or baccalaureate degree, or the equivalent
- Enroll, as a matriculated student, on a full-time or part-time basis (minimum of 6 credits, or the equivalent) in an undergraduate program of study leading to a certificate or an associate degree in an approved course of study at a public community college in Massachusetts
- Have approved eligibility status as a “High School Completer,” per the Massachusetts tuition equity law, or be a U.S. Citizen, permanent legal resident, or non-citizen eligible under Title IV regulations.
- Comply with all applicable federal financial aid verification requirements
- Not be in default on any federal or state student loans for attendance at any institution, or owe a refund for any previous state financial aid program
- Meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) according to the institution’s requirements
- Have a remaining balance owed to the institution for the costs of tuition, fees, books and supplies after all other grant and scholarship aid has been accounted for
Scholarship Amount and Terms
Subject to appropriation, the Community College Nursing Scholarship assistance awarded to eligible students under this program shall not exceed the calculated cost of tuition, fees, books and supplies as published in the institution’s annual Cost of Attendance (COA), for the academic term, during which the award is made.
Community College Nursing Scholarship funds may not be used to cover educational expenses that are not related to tuition and fees, books and supplies, unless otherwise approved or authorized by the Commissioner of Higher Education, or the Commissioner’s designee.
Community College Nursing Scholarship funds may be awarded to cover student expenses or activities related to the required program of study, such as internships or clinical placements, that are scheduled during the summer months. Eligible students may also receive funds to complete coursework during the summer (6-credit minimum).
Students may be awarded Community College Nursing Scholarship funds as follows:
- Full-Time: Maximum of 3 years, 6 semesters for full-time (12 enrolled credits per academic term). An additional year of assistance may be awarded based on extenuating circumstances, with approval of a written appeal.
- Part-Time: Maximum of 5 years, 10 semesters for part-time (6 enrolled credits minimum per academic term). An additional year of assistance may be awarded based on extenuating circumstances, with approval of a written appeal.
- Full-Time: Maximum of three semesters (summer enrollment does not count toward the 3-semester maximum)
- Part-Time: Maximum of six semesters (summer enrollment does not count toward the 5-semester maximum
Eligible Institutions and Programs
To be considered for the Community College Nursing Scholarship, students must be enrolled in an approved course of study at a public community college in Massachusetts.
An eligible program of study is an approved certificate or associate degree program in the following areas:
- Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse
- Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Training
- Nursing Assistant/Aide
- Patient Care Assistant/Aide/Technician
- Pre-Nursing Studies
The eligible institutions include:
How To Apply
- Make sure you have completed and submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Massachusetts Application for State Financial Aid (MASFA). You can file your FAFSA electronically here, and the MASFA is available here.
- Reach out to your college’s financial aid office for additional information for the application process, or contact the Department of Higher Education’s Office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 391-6070