Christian A. Herter Memorial Scholarship Program
*The following is a brief description for students. Institutions should refer to the most recent guidelines for information.
The Christian A. Herter Memorial Scholarship Program was established in 1972 by the Massachusetts State Legislature to recruit students in the 10th and 11th grades whose socio-economic backgrounds and environmental conditions may inhibit their ability to attain educational goals. The students that are selected for this program must have overcome major adversity in their lives (i.e. physical or mental abuse, catastrophic illness, etc.). Obstacles may be mental, physical, geographic or societal.
Massachusetts students who demonstrate academic promise and desire to attend post-secondary institutions may receive up to 50% of their calculated need at the college of their choice within the continental United States.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for a Christian A. Herter Memorial Scholarship, a student must:
- Be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or non-citizen eligible under Title IV regulations.
- Not be in default of any federal or state Student Loans for attendance at any institution or owe a refund for any previous financial aid received.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Exhibit difficult personal circumstances, high financial need, and strong academic promise to continue education beyond the secondary level.
- Be enrolled in a public or private secondary school in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Scholarship awards vary and are based on educational cost, including tuition, room, board, required fees, books and transportation.
How to Apply
Eligible students who are in the 10th or 11th grades of high school must be nominated by a school or qualified community agency or organization.
The Nomination Window has closed – we are no longer accepting nominations.
Students must complete their Herter Applications by MAY 26, 2023.
Once a student has been nominated, they will receive an email with instructions to create their Herter account. Please review the “Herter Scholarship Questions and Answers” document below for additional program information and technical assistance.
We recommend nominators and students bookmark the following links for easy access:
- Nominator Account Request – for nominators to request access to the Herter nominator portal
- Student Account Access – for students to create their Herter applicant account credentials (only students who have been nominated will be able to create an account)
- Parent/Guardian Account Access – for parents to create their Herter account credentials (once the student has entered the parent/guardian contact information in the student application)
- Christian Herter Application Portal – for nominators, students, and parents/guardians to access their application after their respective accounts have been created
For more information, contact Stephannie Barboza, email@example.com or Robert Brun, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Herter Scholarship Questions and Answers